Next in The Listening Room series is all about Quietstorm: The MVP Collection, an online podcast dedicated to smooth jazz, easy listening, and the like. As of this writing, the website is no longer updated (the recent podcast is from May 2013) and most of the earlier podcasts are no longer available for download.
I was searching for a particular song by Dave Grusin back in 2008, which I thought was hard to find until I stumbled upon this site offering a programmed list of songs played during that weekend, provided with a download link so you can enjoy the podcast anytime, anywhere. I happen to find that song in one of the podcasts, and I discover some interesting smooth songs on that podcast as well.
An online podcast website managed by meteorologist Michael V. Padua (who also managed Typhoon2000.com) and based in Naga City, Camarines Sur, Quietstorm: The MVP Collection offers a wide variety of smooth music such as smooth jazz, rhythm and blues, new age, chill-out music, bossa nova, and everything in between. It is then heard via RMN DWNX 91.1 in Naga City on weekends from October/November 2006 to October 2007. Since then, it continued as an online podcast until 2013.
There’s a playlist of songs in a scheduled podcast. The list of songs in a scheduled podcast shows the name of the artist and song title, as well as the album title and the year of release (enclosed in brackets). At the end of the song title/artist/album are some remarks about the song. It usually indicates whether the song is a recent release (and at times, for recent smooth jazz tracks, displaying its chart position on the Smooth Jazz charts), a classic track, or an OPM track. And yes, it also indicates the requested song on the podcast.
At times, the online podcast also features the syndicated radio show “Chill With Mindi Abair”, playing chill-out music.
Keeping you smooth all the time.^ This is truly a weekend escapade featuring smooth music on the net.
Here are some of the songs I discovered (and heard) on the online podcast site:
- Earth, Wind & Fire – Wouldn’t Change A Thing About You
- Michael Franks – Barefoot On The Beach
- Checkfield – Rainforest
- Sam Riney – Pacific Coast Highway 1 AM
- The Rippingtons – Katrina’s Dance
- Al Jarreau – (A Rhyme) This Time
- Stacey Kent – The Ice Hotel
- Lionel Richie – Love Will Conquer All
- Kalapana – The Real Thing
- Yanni – Whispers In The Dark
- Incognito – We Got Music
- Patrice Rushen – When I Found You
- David Benoit – Looking Back
- Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto – Só Danço Samba (I Only Dance Samba)
- Gregg Karukas – Catalina Wind
- Lee Ritenour feat. Gonzaguinha – É (Yeah!)
- Sitti – Tayo’y Mag Samba (OPM)
- El DeBarge – Love Always
- 3rd Force – Straight From The Heart
- David Benoit & Russ Freeman (The Benoit-Freeman Project) – Moon Through The Window
- Hiroshima – Daydreamer
- Michael Jackson – The Lady In My Life
- Yutaka – Warm And Sunny Sunday Morning
- Lee Ritenour – Color Rit
- Fresh Moods – Aground
- Green Lemon – 11 O’Clock
- Michael Franks – Scatsville
- George Jinda & World News – Code Of Silence
- David Foster – Movie Montage
- Chi – Sail The Midnight Sea
- Norman Brown – Missin’ You
- Najee – Out Of A Dream
- Shakatak – Can’t Make The Night
- Julia Fordham – Caged Bird