Balance makes the world go round. Without it, everything is in disarray and that’s not a good sign.
Born under a zodiac sign Libra that represents balance (the scales), I know how important it is (for me) to keep things balanced, as much as possible. But of course, I tend to disregard this, as I didn’t think of such consequences, something that I might regret later in life.
So for this post, I’m going to share my thoughts about the importance of keeping your life balanced.
So what makes a balanced life?
A balanced life is a healthy and productive life. It’s like when you’re taking good care of yourself (like eating something healthy), and accomplishing all your goals in life without the stress and pressure (like doing important work). It is when you prioritize and schedule your tasks accordingly, as well as knowing what’s important and what’s not.
There are times when you’re too much focused on your work that you tend to forget your physical and emotional needs. You ended up getting stressed, just because you need to finish all of your tasks in a given time. And by neglecting your health, there’s a possibility that your body is giving up on you. Remember, you’re not a machine that operates 24/7, sometimes you need to take a break.
At times, you tend to dwell on your dark past that you forget to focus on doing things that will make you happy. As a result, you missed out on a lot of fun things that you could have enjoyed had it not been for your negative way of thinking. Conflicts (particularly personal) may also disrupt life’s balance depending on how you react to it. Like, when someone is disturbing the balance by means of an upsetting situation, you tend to lose focus on whatever thing you’re doing. A peaceful environment translates to a well-balanced life, meaning you can only do well without a disruptive moment.
So are you into workouts or are you planning to be a couch potato for the rest of your life? Do you like healthy food or unhealthy food? Are you willing to do anything just to satisfy yourself or do you just take time in doing the things you love? Or maybe you prefer ‘wants’ to ‘needs’? Sometimes, your preference(s) may lead you to an unbalanced life. Maybe you’re working too hard just to satisfy yourself without even looking at the consequences of your actions. And by that, you’re being reckless when it comes to your desires.
It’s important to focus not just on the external things such as work, relationship, and activities, but also the internal things (such as what’s inside your mind and body). It’s okay to work hard, for as long as you don’t exhaust yourself too much in the long run. It’s okay to fall in love with someone, as long as you’re not too absorbed in a series of dreamy, romantic thoughts and not paying attention to your emotional well-being.
Keeping things balanced is as simple as organizing everything in life. All you have to do is remember these tips:
- Know your limits. Remember, you can only push yourself to do a certain amount of activities at a time, and nothing more than recommended. I understand that there are a lot of goals for you to fulfill (heck, there are even bucket lists of activities, places, and/or some items to buy) and you’re willing to work hard and save up just to achieve such goals in life. But overdoing it may put all of these goals to waste, something that you wouldn’t want in the end.
- Schedule everything. A well-balanced life can be achieved through planning your activities in advance. Say, you are incredibly busy with your life that you don’t have much time for your hobbies. While you can always have time for work, make sure to have some for play too.
- Stick to the plan. A little preparation may do the trick. Say that you wanted to save up for your future, then it’s necessary to prepare yourself for a little cost-cutting measure. Too many tasks? Then focus on the important (high priority) tasks first before anything else. Think you’re heading off the track? Check the list.
- Think positively. You’ve been through a rough time lately, but that doesn’t mean you can always dwell on negative thoughts. Sometimes, the negative thoughts you have in mind may overpower your positive outlook in life. No matter what happens, make sure to have a positive outlook at all times because not all bad moments are really bad.
- Motivate yourself. You can’t be demotivated forever, it’s like being cruel to yourself and missing out on a lot of opportunities. Motivation helps in keeping balance to your not-so-positive life, whether it’s work time or fun time. You’re empowering yourself to do something better.
Remember, a life that’s balanced is a life that’s healthy. There may be a lot of factors that can affect your life’s balance, but there is a way to keep things in order… even if it’s a complete mess, to begin with.
A healthy, productive, and stress-free life. That’s what balance is for. You simply need to breathe in and feel relaxed as you go through the usual tasks with a clear mind and a cupful of motivation. Yup, that’s how the way it goes.
- Tanjeloff, Jasmin. “How to Create a Balanced Life: 9 Tips to Feel Calm and Grounded.” Tiny Buddha. N.p., 11 Jan. 2015. Web. 03 Oct. 2017. ^